If you really value your lute you'd better never use ANY synthetic glues, whether it's cyanacrylate, PVA, 'Gorilla' glue, Titebond etc. If there is absolutely no choice but synthetic, use the last one, i.e. Titebond. It's always best to re-glue the broken join when it is 'fresh' and not spoiled with any synthetic glues before. The best choice to repair any such breaks is fish glue (made from the sturgeon's swim bladder); if done properly it should never break but at a different place. Hide and bone glues are fine too, albeit less secure than fish glue. I'd take it to a professional if I were you.

AB

howard posner wrote:
As long as the subject has come up, the bass rider on my 13-course
broke off some time ago.  It looks as if it didn't come apart at a
glue joint; the wood itself seems to have split.  The break was
repaired once before, probably with hide glue, but it didn't hold.
I'm finally getting tired of having an 11-course lute instead of a 13-
course and would like to permanently reattach the rider.   Is strong
cyanacrylate a good option, or should I just take it to a professional?