>And many years ago - before the main early music revival and
>Ovation-Maccaferro (Sp?) made a serious plastic guitar.
>Maccafero, of course, was the luthier made famous by Django Rheinhardt.

Very correct, Daniel, although it would have been more germane to the
point if you had also mentioned Maccaferri's plastic reeds, which were
enough of a success that they continued to be made through WWII
despite rationing. (They had the endorsement of Benny Goodman!)

As for his plastic guitars, one biographer says, "Alas, his Maccaferri
plastic guitars, while conceived as a serious musical instrument, were
not a market success." The article goes on to note that his plastic
Ukes (with the Arthur Godfrey 'Chord Finder', basically an
button-driven autoharp arrangement moulded into the neck over the
fingerboard) _was_ a success. http://www.lutherie.net/mario_en.html

I have no doubt that a good quality plastic uke will be readily
accepted in the world-at-large, again, as the plastic recorder was
accepted and has, indeed, grown both in volume and quality. These
days, it is not outside reason for a semi-pro to consider a good Aulos
or Yamaha plastic alto or tenor for solo work, and whole successful
scholastic programs are based on inexpensive, but workable
instruments. (With the reverse pressure from the fact that an
important part of the art of playing recorder is dealing with the
vagueries of wood, undulating bore shape, and fingerings which are
individual to each historical recorder!)

I could go on. Probably the best, and shortest, example is in plastic
reeds, in which Maccaferri had such a hit. For the single-reed
instruments, plastic reeds can be a godsend, and companies like Rico
make many varieties, now. For the doublereeds... well, other than
"Keep one in the case for emergencies, then don't have emergencies,"
there isn't much to say. They're both reeds, but in one case, applying
high technology materials worked well, and in the other, it has never
caught on. (A side note, parallel to the "Try parts of lutes and an
association with real luthiers": for double reed instruments,
pantograph reed profile copying machines are viable and useful. Bloody
expensive, and you have to have something to copy, but at least you
get something that, with a bit of tweaking, you can play music on.)

So I reiterate: plastic lutes don't seem to me to be a wise way to try
to establish rapid-prototyping as a viable manufacturing approach.

Your mileage may vary.

ray