On Jun 11, 2009, at 6:53 AM, morgan cornwall wrote:

>    Of the 6, 7, and 8 course lutes, it would seem that a 7 course lute
>    would be most practical.  It would allow me to play the earlier
>    repertoire as well as most of the Dowland pieces.  It doesn't
> seem like
>    there is a whole lot to be gained from going to an 8 course
> lute.  Is
>    this reasonable?

Because there's an unstated premise in this question and in the
answers to it, let's be clear:

There is indeed a great deal of music for 7-course lute, but it's two
different instruments: one with the 7th course at F and the other
with at D.  A D 7th course has to be fretted to play music for a lute
with F 7th, and an F 7th is pretty much useless in music written for
a D 7th.  Hence the popularity of 8-course lute these days (and, I
suspect, historically): it's not just an 8-course lute, but also both
kinds of 7-course lute.