There is a very decided break between the pre-Segovia and post-Segovia
guitar.  After, most guitars were built to a very Spanish, post-Torres
tradition.  That involved European spruce (Picea abies) and, later, western
red cedar (Thuja plicata) and, later still, Engelmann spruce (P.
engelmannii).  There are modern classical guitar builders out there to have
used red spruce (P. rubens), but not on anything like a mass-production
scale any more, and I'm not certain I've ever handled one.  My own
wedding-gig workhorse guitar is topped in Engelmann spruce.

However, from the pre-Segovia "classical" tradition, original 19th-c. C.F.
Martin & Co. guitars were built for a romantic-era repertoire and gut
strings, and many used red/Adirondack spruce as did several other American
makes.  I like them, and they aren't that uncommon.  You should check one
out if you find the opportunity, and especially if you find one with an
owner who keeps it in gut and silver-wound silk.

Best,
Eugene