From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Ron Andrico
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 9:40 AM
To: char...@brownecowie.fsnet.co.uk; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: [Lute] Lute and Harp duets

   Hello Charles:
   I have played quite a few duets with harps, or I should say with
   harpists.  What a harpist can easily play depends upon whether the harp
   has chromatic notes available.  If you're playing with a modern concert
   harp, anything goes and it only becomes a question of balance, since
   harps are generally much louder than lutes.
   Most 'folk' harps are diatonic but many have levers that can sharp or
   flat a note if set up in advance.   I performed a duet concert with a
   very good harpist, Laura Zaerr, playing a diatonic harp with levers.
   She was able to change the levers on the fly in the middle of a piece
   and we played the Francesco/Matelart duets as well as some duets from
   Phalese, 1552.  Double harps are also a good solution because the
   chromatic notes are available on a second row of strings.  I have
   played part-music with a double-harpist, dividing the responsibilities
   equally in a four-part piece.
   You can also play lute songs with the harp playing the singing part.
   This usually works out well in terms of balance.  I hope this is
   helpful.
   Best wishes,
   Ron Andrico
   www.mignarda.com
   > Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:06:13 +0100
   > To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: char...@brownecowie.fsnet.co.uk
   > Subject: [LUTE] [Lute] Lute and Harp duets
   >
   > Greetings!
   > does anyone on the list have any experience of playing duets with a
   harp
   > (either renaissance or baroque lute)? I would be grateful for some
   help
   > in terns of possible repertoire!
   > Thanks
   > Charles

   Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. [1]Get it now. --