A classically trained optometrist will have a large mask that can
accept lenses from a special tray with tiny handles on them. These
lenses can be popped in and out and combined with other lenses to
make "instant glasses"
You can wear it, take it outside, read music for half an hour to see
if the prescription is ideal.
Most doctors have a kind of twenty minute time limit, so they just
check the prescription using an eye chart. The eye chart is good, but
it isn't music.

dt