To which I will append:
Paddle lenses are the lenses with the hook attachment...sometimes they
are in plastic holders which look like paddles and the holder (which
perches on your nose and ears like normal glasses) have rectangle
supports to hold them.

In the states, in most places, when the optometrist refracts you, they
give you eyedrops, which dilate your pupils. As a result, going out
into the sunshine may not be highly recommended. What has always
intrigued me is that the change between the drugged, dilated state and
'normal' seems so great, how can we hope to get a usable prescription?
I don't yet have a good answer.

ray