     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: another day at the office
     To: "David van Ooijen" <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
     Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Friday, 18 December, 2009, 19:46

   If it's not your whim and you are under duress from ill informed
   conductors
   then I owe you an apology!
   But briefly I don't think that the guitar would have been used in 17th
   century Italian (or other) religious music intended to be performed in
   liturgical context.   I can't see why it should be necessary.
   As far as the Vespers are concerned I wouldn't compare the opening with
   an
   overture to an opera.   This is an invocation to God  to hear our
   prayers
   and accept our praises.   It is not intended to be a dramatic
   performance
   but a spiritually uplifting or inspiring experience.   I am not a
   theorbo
   player but I can't really see the point in strumming that in the
   context
   although it seems very fashionable at the moment.
   Part of the problem seems to me to be that today the music is just
   regarding
   as another form of entertainment without taking into account the
   purpose for
   which it was intended.
   Beyond that there are obviously a whole range of problems about how the
   Vespers should be performed - starting with the idea that it isn't
   entirely
   clear what purpose Monteverdi did actually have in mind when composing
   it.
   Anyway at least I have sparked off a lively debate (again).   It always
   surprises me that everyone takes what I say so seriously!
   God probably isn't worried one way or another.   My brother has this
   nice
   idea that he just sits on a cloud  switching channels until he finds
   something he wants to listen to.
   Monica