I appreciate that but still believe we have an obbligaton to educate conductors if it is indeed their whim rather than the players.

And if people post things and draw attention to them we are surely entitled to express an honest opinion about them. We don't get anywhere by just saying that everything is perfect, lovely when really it deeply offends our sensibilities etc.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob MacKillop" <luteplay...@googlemail.com>
To: "jelmaa" <jel...@gmail.com>
Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 12:41 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: another day at the office

  With respect, Monica, it is clear that you are not a performer. It's
  fairly easy to sit back and say 'you shouldn't do that because it
  wasn't done' and quite another to be a professional musician earning
  your crust, supporting a family, etc, and being booked to play a date.
  Considering David's work as a whole, he has given an enormous amount to
  his studies and to our appreciation of the music of different periods.
  If he finds himself stretching the historical facts a little here and
  there, tis a small sin...

  David is right about fashions, though...the CD recordings of each
  decade of the Early Music movement tell us more about that decade than
  they do about the music they purport (I think that's the word - I may
  have made it up!) to be expressing. Period performance is ultimately
  doomed, of course - our ears have heard Schoenberg, Hendrix, Madonna.
  We can never hear how the original audience heard. Which is not an
  excuse to do anything you want, of course...

  Rob