It is pretty clear that certain composers did not write for the
guitar, and that there was among some church musicians a recognition
that the guitar is going to make more bad counterpoint--chords versus
line--than most other instruments.
We have a large enough statistical base to form some ideas about
that, for example, Vivaldi did not as far as I know write anything
for guitar, but he scored for everything else including the kitchen
sink. That is thousands of pieces.

However, this does raise an interesting point, that if counterpoint
were the main reason, most modern players do not observe the rules of
parallels (some are unavoidable, but most are not). So even if the
guitar were not used, if it was this particular issue, it would not
have mattered which conitnuo instrument was used if the result was similar.

If there was a subtle class distinction, the playing might not have
been as important as the image--what a modern concept! Certainly the
best guitarists avoided the most obvious parallels.

Some composers published works of a popular sort, and these of course
were played on guitars and other instruments.

I say, wiki wiki!
dt