On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Franz Mechsner
<franz.mechs...@northumbria.ac.uk> wrote:
> I have to admit that I am owing a LIUTO FORTE (9 strings).

Congratulations.

> what is so terrible with the liuto forte

Nothing.

> - in renaissance and baroque times
> innovation was the rule...

I, for one, am interested in the innovations of the Renaissance and
Baroque concerning lutes. Rediscovering these, and getting
better/different/more suitable instruments by these means interest me
more than modern innovations in string, barring, amplification or the
likes. I realise many rediscoveries of these days are in effect modern
inventions, but at least the force driving these (re)discoveries is
aimed at recreating a sound of the past, however elusive a task that
obviously is, and not at creating a new, deliberatley modern sound.

> tiorba forte in
> playing basso continuo...

I find my modest theorbo loud enough in appropriate settings. When
stuck in a modern orchestra it's another story, but luckily I'm
usually playing with period instruments.

happy plucking

David