Franz,

    No need to be defensive right from the get-go.  Although some loud voices
might not make it obvious right away, many of us on this list are quite
open-minded and ready to give alternate ways a try.  You also might be
surprised to find that many of the "experts" on the list who speak with such
confidence and self-assurance in all matters of Great Importance are little
more advanced than yourself.  Don't let them shout you down.

    I have to confess that I have never had occasion to hear or play a Liuto
Forte in person, so I can't speak about it at all.  If the chance presented
itself, I would certainly give it a go.  And I'm not looking down on your for
playing one.  If ya like it, go for it.  (I'm doing a radio broadcast today of
19th century Christmas carols I arrange for solo theorbo.  Is anyone going to
sue me for being unhistorical?)

    As may be expected, lute players are fairly conservative in their ways.  I
feel like many players don't take full advantage of the range of colors and
dynamics present in the regular lute.  This is not easy to do, but to a certain
extent, I think its intentional.  Many players have a tonal ideal that is a
"once upon a time in days of yore" type of thing.  Fine, if they like it, but
this doesn't reflect the historical record.

    Its very clear that olden players used many different types of setups and
playing techniques, which would have produced a dazzling variety of tonal
effects, but we hear only a narrow range of this today.  (My Widhalm lute, for
example, has fan barring, like the original.  Play it by the bridge and its
quite loud.)  If our idea of what a lute sounds like is determined by the
delicate "fairytale" way of playing, then the Liuto Forte is needed.  If we
look broaden our attitudes a little, we might be able to be heard without
playing barogue guitar in the Vespers.

Chris