Not a professional recording artist, so weigh my opinion for what it's
worth: so much fish.  I'm torn on the issue of close mic'ing acoustic music.
Electric instruments and ensembles depend entirely upon some kind of
processing for sounding like they do, so close mic'ing and processing the
sound however you'd like after the fact is wholly appropriate.  However, I
do think there is something to be said for chamber ambience (within reason)
in recordings of soft-voiced acoustic instruments--or even full modern
orchestras--where deliberately added processing is not necessarily a part of
the performance tradition.

I don't often listen to recorded music in a setting like that in which I
hear live music; i.e., an acoustic instrument's cleanest "pure" sound isn't
necessarily appropriate to a recording that is intended to capture the sound
of performance because my car or carpeted living room can't add the chamber
ambience I expect of the sound of performance.  That ambience has to be
included in the recorded sound, whether added via processing to a
close-mic'ed recording or captured in recording process itself.

In an acoustic performance setting, the audience's ears don't find
themselves planted tightly against the performers' instruments.  There is a
certain logic to capturing the timbre of tone of any acoustic instrument at
what could be a reasonable expectation for a hearer's position in relation
to the instrument.  Of course, much of that can be emulated electronically,
and sometimes pretty convincingly, but it doesn't always have to be.  I find
close mic'ing, especially of relatively quiet instruments to also be very
good at capturing the noise associated with acoustic music: finger squeaks,
clothing rustling, the aspiration-like percussive attack of a plucked
string, etc.  A little extra care has to be taken too not generate noise in
proximity to a closely positioned mic.

Mics either positioned to capture some degree of chamber ambience or close
to capture a "pure" tone for later processing: the technology to make either
work convincingly to somebody's taste is pretty readily available nowadays.
I don't think either is panacea.

Best,
Eugene