On Apr 3, 2010, at 6:55 AM, [1]nedma...@aol.com wrote:

   I'm sceptical that - assuming the positioning of a
     main pair of mics is very good but not perfect - that adding in other
     pairs that are necessarily even less well placed will provide
   improved
     sound.

   Like DT said, you don't have to use the other mics.

   But I would like to change the term "improved" to "natural".

   I think that if there were a demand for it, there is already the
   technology out there right now to allow the listener to choose which
   mics/reverb/combination of such they would like to listen to. How hard
   is it to just release a DVD version instead of CD and choose the
   reverberation/mics just like you can choose the subtitles to a movie?

   For myself, not being an audiophile, the important thing with mobile
   recording is reproducibility. That is why I always use the same pair of
   mics in the same configuration (coincident) at the same distance. Not
   close to perfect by any means, but it means I can record nearly
   anywhere and get more or less the same sound. Quick too.

   Ed Durbrow
   Saitama, Japan
   [2]edurb...@sea.plala.or.jp
   [3]http://www9.plala.or.jp/edurbrow/