Yup, actually two photos.  It's right there on the daybed in the Great
   Parlour.  It looks like it would be a wonderful venue for a concert.
   Too bad I'm here in New England.

   Chris.
   >>> "Narada" <blues.for.nar...@ntlworld.com> 9/7/2010 5:53 PM >>>
   In fact if you go to 'Friends of Oakwell Hall ' there are some very
   good
   photo's, including one that has a Lute in it.
   Have a look.
   Neil
   -----Original Message-----
   From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On
   Behalf
   Of howard posner
   Sent: 07 September 2010 21:44
   To: LuteNet list
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Marco dall'Aquila / O'Dette
   On Sep 7, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Narada wrote:
   > I recently purchased this CD.
   .but didn't read Paul's insert notes?
   > The sound quality is awful, it is completely
   > washed out with 'Hall Reverb' The individual notes can hardly be
   > seperated in some of the faster passages. This recording needs
   > remastering and the level of reverb reduced massively. If anything
   the
   > reverb should only add a little 'wetness' to the sound, not drowned
   > it.
   You seem to think reverb was added.  It wasn't.  The CD was recorded in
   room in a castle in Capestrano, near Aquila (a last-minute arrangement
   because the intended venue in Aquila had been damaged in an
   earthquake), and
   the sound is very likely what you would have heard 15 feet from the
   lute (or
   what one of Marco's contemporaries would have heard him playing from
   down
   the banquet table).
   This is an effect I've experienced in larger resonant rooms as well,
   particularly with lower frequencies: the cello's 16th-notes in a
   Vivaldi
   concerto are perfectly distinct close up, but from ten steps back
   they're a
   vague shimmering wash.  You can choose to regard this as a problem, or
   you
   can conclude (as Nicolaus Harnoncourt has in a published essay) that
   Vivaldi
   intended the shimmering effect, or at least expected it and didn't mind
   it.
   Since I'm writing a review of the recording for LSA Quarterly even as
   we
   speak, I've listened to it enough to get over the strangeness of the
   sound,
   and find that I rather like it, and have no trouble making out the
   lines.