Hi David,

I hope you have amplification, unless it's a very small number of people. When they're talking, they're shouting their heads off so they can be heard over the general din, and when they're eating, they're smashing knives and forks against plates - concerto for stainless steel, ceramics and (inaudible) lute. They might even bang their wine glasses together in their enthusiasm. No wonder Mersenne called one of his ornaments "verre casse" (that's an e acute at the end).

Good luck,

Martin

David van Ooijen wrote:
All

Coming Saturday I am to play for two hours during a dinner. The
request was for early-Baroque dance music, but I think that can be
interpreted as anything between 1500 and 1700 of a lively nature. I'll
bring a pile of music, so no fear of silence - and I can improvise
music of a lively nature for hours on end - but could people with some
experience in this sort of thing tell me what they usually play?
Ideally I'd just put one or two books on my music stand and play
through these.

I'll now walk to my music shelves and see with what sort of one-stop
solution I can come up with, but I'm sure some of you will be even
faster. ;-)

David - lively by nature