> I'm not sure about what you said above, because halls at that time had
> tapestry

not all, some had wood paneling, banner hung high, and other sound
deadeners.  Some were not yet decorated or recently stripped bare, perhaps
to clean for vermin.

Fill the hall with people and you have sound deadening as well as idle
conversation.

Food is not usually cleared away for entertainment at the feasts I attend,
unless the feast was for one audience and the entertainment is for another
one; rarely, the hall is too small to accomodate all the feasters servants
and entertainment simultaneously, so some rearangement is made, but
usually something in the way of food remains for nosh, if only drink.

> Was lute played in churches ?

probably, but in many churches I have tried it gets easily swallowed up.

A consort of lutes works better.

--
Dana Emery