Snip
David Tayler is mistaken when he claims that I "evened up" uneven passages
in Francesco's music.  No serious editor of early music would ever do
something like that.
Snip

Actually, I never said anything of the sort, nor would I. All of the
material in your edition is in the critical commentary.
In fact, what I did say was "I defer to Arthur in all things
Francesco"--I don't think I can make it clearer than that.
If you use a citation, when making such a claim,  then I could
cheerfully eat my words.

That doesn't mean I don't have any opinion at all.

"His polyphony depends more on Josquin's sacred polyphony,
rather than the informal contrapuntal style of the Josquin's chansons."
End quote

As for points of imitation being different in the chansons of Josquin
compared to the sacred music, you can see shortened imitation in
Josquin's masses, for example Hercules dux Ferrariae, (Gloria), and
many other works by Josquin, Isaac, and other composers of both
sacred and secular music. And of course, the hundreds of masses and
motets based on chansons which rework the motivic material. Standard
compositional practice, in my opinion, also that composition of
sacred music usually begin with a long note.

I have a different opinion than some about some aspects of editing
renaissance music. I think any piece can begin on a long. I think
original note values should be used in editions, and so on. I think
all of the source versions should be digitized and hyperlinked, with
no urtext. That's just my opinion, and others may have a different
opinion. And each individual piece represents a unique set of
circumstances, which is why my initial reaction is to defer the
expert, the person who has spent years on one repertory or composer.
There's many ways to make an edition, and I myself, as an editor have
changed my mind several times over the last forty years.

However, "I defer to Arthur in all things Francesco"
He's the expert.

dt