>>Somebody needs to find you some better scotch.

Here! here!

lots of scotch vendors in the hamptons, but few of them carry any single
malt, my mothers favorite, and something I didnt inherit enough of to
develop any taste for (yet).

>>>I picked a piece, Mille Regretz, that doesn't start on a rest, but is
>>>emblematic of the thousands of imitative pieces that start on a long
>>>note and are imitated  further on in the piece by a short note.

right.  well, imiitative counterpoint need not be slavish, in this or
other eras.

I am reminded of the Verdi Requiem which challenges the chorus by making
use of one otherwise similar phrase distinguished by the use of
single-dotted, double-dotted, and tripple-dotted  notes.

>>>No editor would shorten that first note (Mille Regretz). The point
>>>is, there is no rule, stylistically, contrapuntally, or otherwise to
>>>"regularize" imitation on the first note, unless Josquin, Isaac and
>>>everyone else is writing bad counterpoint.

imitation will often change the intervals as the harmony demands that,
yes, rhythm seems most often kept, but when changing mensuration that
first note(s) in the new section gets mangled as needed, no?

--
Dana Emery