At first, I had a copper Gimped on 7c of my Baroque lute, between a
   loaded Venice 8c and a 6c Venice. There was absolutely nothing wrong
   with the Gimped string in itself, but to me close to the lute, it
   sounded brighter than the surrounding strings (perhaps a silver or a
   gold gimped might have been less so?).
   $
   Indeed, as you know, I have very much enjoyed your recording of the
   Conradi with a strong presence of Gimped strings, which gave an
   excellent sound.
   However, loaded Venice have a very dark if warm sound, in spite of
   their good  harmonic behaviour; and I think they contrast more with
   gimped than perhaps the first generation did. In deed, I would not
   advise a loaded Venice between two gimped strings, either.
   $
   In relation to this, I have tended to use stronger octaves (than
   basses) to brighten (and lighten) the loaded bass sound, slightly. I
   really do think that works extremely well (like you do I believe?).
   $
   You are probably correct in thinking that a single string would not be
   noticeable to a listener. It would give some of its characteristics to
   its neighbouring strings, which makes it harder to hear.
   I may have become hyper-sensitive to these slight tonal breaks.
   Although I think most all-gut users prefer all gut just because they
   want to maximise homogeneity of sound: I think this does remain
   important to us for most 11c Baroque music (perhaps, a little less so
   with later German Baroque?).
   Avoiding tonal breaks (which ever string types we use) is therefore
   perhaps just an extension of this.
   Regards
   Anthony
   PS Thanks for drawing my attention to the Nigel North Weiss recording.
   It is superb, never mind what strings he is using.
   $