   From: [1]Anthony Hind

   To: [2]l...@cs.dartmouth.edu

   Sent: Monday, December 20, 2010 1:47 PM

   Subject: [LUTE] Re: New Nylgut test as Chanterelle

        Dear Mark
              They are available here in Europe, I saw quite a good stock
     at
        Wolfgang Frueh's when I got several strings; but Mimmo apparently
     sold
        all his stock at the Greenwich festival.
        He was making up new stock, but I don't know whether any had been
     sent
        out to the US prior to this.
        I don't know how fast synthetic string making can be? It has to
     be
        extruded (which should be quick), but then perhaps also
     semi-rectified.
        I don't know whether all this is automated, or partly by hand;
     but I
        did hear that two machines were out of order, recently which
     slowed
        production down.
        Then of course the strings must be packaged, posted etc. Aquila
     is not
        a huge company, perhaps 30 or so people involved in the NG side
     of
        things (I would guess); but possibly somethings have to be done
     by
        Mimmo himself. Certianly all the chemical research and testing
     will
        have had to be done by Mimmo himself.
        $
        It is normal practice to have a few people test prototype strings
        (usually the same people), and I imagine there may have been
     feedback
        and slight changes, before the strings were deemed ready for sale
        the wider public; when further sets of strings may have again
     been sent
        out to verifiy probable reactions. Sometimes, production goes no
        further than these initial tests.
        $
        I remember when Dan Larson was attempting to make tungsten gimped
        strings only a few lutenists had the chance to try them, I
     believe
        there were even a few gold wire ones. I assume production was
     finally
        thought to be too expensive, as I believe reactions were quite
     positive
        to the sound of those strings.
        $
        I feel sure things will quickly become as it was with the old NG.
     It is
        not really surprising if there is a slight stutter as things
     swing into
        motion.
        $
        Regards