..or "cat" as possibly derived from "kit", an antiquated folk reference to
fiddles.  ...or "cat" as an abbreviation of "cattle" in general reference to
any ruminant (or specifically sheep) from which a large length of gut for
string fabrication might come.  Take your pick.  I doubt this one will be
conclusively resolved any time soon, and even if it is, I doubt it will
substantially change my appreciation of the music or of playing it.

Eugene