Hello Brent,

I think David's reply is on the mark.  My sense is that lute makers of any
skill are generally very busy trying to fill orders for new instruments.  While
feeling obligated to do repair work on instruments they've built, this work is
secondary to the new work they've contracted for.  As frustrating as it is to
be without an instrument, I think nothing will be gained by pushing the maker
about the repairs, though an occasional polite inquiry should be ok.

A recommendation, though, since you rely on your instrument for work; if you
can possibly afford it get a second instrument.  There are many things that can
happen to a lute to make it temporarily unplayable.  Having a backup seems
prudent.

Best wishes,

Ned