Thanks, Suzanne,

Duly noted! I appreciate your two cents and even though I fear some people
might
not like the discussion I brought up (although, I have had no sign of that yet,
phew...), I do think that these kinds of things are important for people to
know/realize...One day, most people on this list will probably have to get a
lute repaired. ..

I just knew this was the right place to ask for guidance. :-)

What I learned:

1) Don't pay upfront (I am with you on that one -- my bad -- takes the
motivation away!)
2) Be honest and upfront about your situation -- needs/expectations.
3) Don't bother your luthier too much (I haven't and won't thanks to advice
received here...).
4) It is probably wise to get an estimated repair date on paper right at the
beginning, especially if you made the mistake of paying up front.
5) If in doubt, reach out to the lute mailing list at Dartmouth before taking
more actions! :-)

Warm regards,
Brent