Thanks for posting this, Martin!  Ralph Maier certainly gives us
something to contemplate.

Many of us play the vihuela, but very few, if any, play the dedillo
stroke.  I have dabbled a bit with it, but not made a serious study
of it, and Maier makes a great case for making another  attempt.  He
is obviously using bright synthetic strings, and if he used  gut, I
am certain that the tone emitted from the back side nail would be
sweeter;  it seems too harsh on synthetics, in my opinion.  But, he
wrote a great paper, and provides us with incentive to do better.

That is one thing that in our modern times, we have almost ignored:  dedillo.

There is another thing we have ignored, which is the 7-course
vihuela.  Ward and Bermudo discuss this at length, and they make the
case for there having been the"ordinary" vihuela in 6 courses, with
our standard renaissance tuning;  the other is the 7-course vihuela,
in which entirely different tuning systems were employed.  Ward
provides us with many names of vihuelistas who performed 7-course
vihuela, but other than Bermudo's examples, there is no existing
music for those tunings.  Bermudo states that all the great
vihuelistas also played 7-course vihuela.

In particular, Bermudo states this instrument was used primarily for
doing intabulations.  Yes, some modern players in our times do have
7-course vihuelas, but I have thus far found nobody in our times
using the 7-course vihuela as an instrument which utilizes it's
initial purpose, which is to use various tunings to devise
intabulations.  All the ones, to my knowledge, use it as having an
extra bass course, similar to the lute.  This was not the intent of
such an instrument.

We have come a long way in our understanding of the vihuela, but we
have a long journey ahead of us......

ed

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street