Well, this has really opened something up for me. I've just been reading Carol McClintock's translation of Galilei's Fronimo, and amongst the many fascinating things he says (of which more anon) is that there's no point having all those extra bass courses on the lute because they sound too weak and in any case you can do everything you want on a 6c lute. That much is fairly widely known. But he goes on to say that if you really want to intabulate pieces which go slightly outside the range you should do it by adding an extra course in the treble, tuned a fourth higher than the original top string, which now becomes the second course (so we now have a high "c" string). I don't know exactly how he physically managed this, but he talks about adding an extra little bridge so the new top string is a bit shorter than the others. I'm just about go on a trip so don't have the time to explore all this right now, but I'm intrigued that it seems the vihuelistas may actually have done this.

Best wishes,

Martin