   From: "Martin Shepherd" <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>
   To: "Lute List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 12:49:47 AM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: [Le_luth] Dedillo
   Well, this has really opened something up for me.  I've just been
   reading Carol McClintock's translation of Galilei's Fronimo, and
   amongst
   the many fascinating things he says (of which more anon) is that
   there's
   no point having all those extra bass courses on the lute because they
   sound too weak and in any case you can do everything you want on a 6c
   lute.  That much is fairly widely known.  But he goes on to say that if
   you really want to intabulate pieces which go slightly outside the
   range
   you should do it by adding an extra course in the treble, tuned a
   fourth
   higher than the original top string, which now becomes the second
   course
   (so we now have a high "c" string).  I don't know exactly how he
   physically managed this, but he talks about adding an extra little
   bridge so the new top string is a bit shorter than the others.  I'm
   just
   about go on a trip so don't have the time to explore all this right
   now,
   but I'm intrigued that it seems the vihuelistas may actually have done
   this.
   Best wishes,
   Martin
   On 19/08/2011 06:06, dwinh...@comcast.net wrote:
   >     Quite right, Ed, about the 7 course vihuela and how it is
   misunderstood
   >     today. I plead guilty to tuning- and using- my own 7 course
   Chambure
   >     copy as a part-time stealth 7 course "lute".  What I understand
   from
   >     reading Ward&  Bermudo is that the 7th course is considered to be
   >     nominal high "c" string, (for a g vihuela) in order to make the
   higher
   >     voices of motets, masses, etc. playable within reasonable areas
   of the
   >     fingerboard- just like a having a 5 string cello for Bach's 6th
   cello
   >     suite. In practical terms, of course, (the laws of physics being
   what
   >     they are, despite what Republican's would like them to be) a 7
   course
   >     vihuela of say 59 cm. sl would actually be set up as a small "D"
   >     instrument, whose scale allows the high "g" string- but it would
   be
   >     nominally a "G" instrument with a high "c" string. All I would
   have to
   >     do on mine would be to lower the 4th course from f to e to come
   up with
   >     the correct intervals- then I would be good to go, playing all
   the
   >     voices from the vocal scores.  The other tuning in Bermudo is a
   >     theoretical proposal of 4ths and 5ths that sounds cool but, like
   other
   >     things, would be thankless wishful thinking; what with the laws
   of
   >     physics being what they are; vis-a-vis the breaking point of gut
   and
   >     the integrity of bridges to soundboard connections.
   >     Dedillo? Tried it, don't like it; I'm with Fuenllana on that one.
   >     still await a convincing performance.
   >     Dan

    He
   mailto:le_l...@yahoogroupes.fr?subject=Re%A0%3A%20Dedillo
   >     >     7.
   >     >

   Azk3NDkwNDY4BGdycElkAzE2MTg5MzE0BGdycHNwSWQDMjEyMzgwMTYxNARtc2dJZAMxMzM

   1MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzMTM2NjkzOTQ-?act=reply&messageNum=
   >     13352
   >     >     8.
   >     >

   Azk3NDkwNDY4BGdycElkAzE2MTg5MzE0BGdycHNwSWQDMjEyMzgwMTYxNARzZWMDZnRyBHN
   >     sawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMTM2NjkzOTQ-
   >     >     9.
   >     >

   tZjBqBF9TAzk3NDkwNDY4BGdycElkAzE2MTg5MzE0BGdycHNwSWQDMjEyMzgwMTYxNARtc2

   dJZAMxMzM1MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMTM2NjkzOTQEdHBjSWQDMTMzN
   >     TI-
   >     >    10.
   >     >

   DkwNDY4BGdycElkAzE2MTg5MzE0BGdycHNwSWQDMjEyMzgwMTYxNARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2
   >     Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzMTM2NjkzOTQ-
   >     >    11.
   >     >

   lkAzE2MTg5MzE0BGdycHNwSWQDMjEyMzgwMTYxNARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDM

   mailto:le_luth-traditio...@yahoogroupes.fr?subject=Changer%20le%20forma

   mailto:le_luth-dig...@yahoogroupes.fr?subject=Messages%20du%20groupe%20