On 29 August 2011 20:07, Eugene C. Braig IV <brai...@osu.edu> wrote:
> Plugging and re-drilling a bridge to suit whatever configuration a player
> has need of seems commonplace enough.

Indeed, and in the bridge of a decent enough instrument plugging and
drilling is no problem. (I use what I call a finger drill, by the way,
basically a pencil-shaped handle to a drill bit, making drilling
almost parallel to the sound board possible). But refitting lesser
quality instruments can be a pain. Soft wood (you'd be amazed at the
cotton wool - quality of wood used in the neck of the guitar I'm
changing into an ersatz-theorbo/baroque lute/archlute at the moment,
drilling with my finger is no problem, literally!) and non-reversible
glues are a bother to work with.

As an academic exercise, what would be needed to convert this
particular theorboed baroque guitar into an archlute or theorbo?
Here it is once more:
http://quality1trader.co.uk/musical-instrument/strings/lute/theorbo-bass-lute-medium/
A lute or theorbo needs at least 6 courses on the fingerboard (since
somebody asked, yesterday was the last time I fretted notes below the
fifth course and today I'm expecting to to it again) and an
unspecified number of diapassons.
The instrument has nine pegs in the lower peg box. One solutions is to
add two pegs (a bit of a job, but with the right tools it's possible)
and have  1x1 / 5x2 on the fingerboard. With nine diapassons, you can
add some chromatics in the basses and have a working lute/theorbo with
15 courses. Quite something.
Another solution would be to use 7 single strings on the fingerboard.
That would require widening the nut, an easier job that should not
represent any major problems. With 9 diapassons that would mean a
16-course archlute/theorbo. An attractive thought and a relatively
easy job, compared to the extra pegs. You might find single strings to
work better, and at least easier to play, on this instrument anyway,
so perhaps this is the first option to explore.

Tuning
Stopped string length is 66cm, suggesting a tuning in e'. (Tune it
like a guitar and you can even play 19th century 10 string guitar
music on it :-), but if you don't mind thin synthetics, tuning it
higher should present no problems.
The basses are shortish, so a higher tuning would be better, actually.
If the instrument is tuned to g', gut diapassons are possible (if cost
is an issue use fret gut, it really is so much better than any of the
modern materials), otherwise carbon or metal-wounds seem to be the
best option.

If anybody is taking the plunge, let us know about the results.

David