On 30 August 2011 10:27, andy butler <akbut...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Beginner's questions.
>
> Is the superiority of gut down to the shorter sustain time
> that someone mentioned earlier?
>
> Is string damping really unpopular? (unnecessary?)

No such thing as a beginner's question.

Superiority is not a word I would use for gut, as gut strings are
imprefect in many ways. Another level, their imperfectiong makes me
like the sound better, they're more insteresting than bland and boring
synthetics (and there's the whole argument of why bother to play an
'early' instrument when using 'modern' strings to produce the sound,
but I'll happily leave that to another discussion).

Shorter sustain in extended basses is a happy side effect of gut,
making damping of said basses unneccecary. I feel we can get an idea
of the expected sustain from the music, and to my feeling a shorter
sustain than metal-wound basses is called for in especially Baroque
lute music. A 'gut' feeling, if you like. ;-)

David