----- Original Message -----

   From: "Martyn Hodgson" <[1]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   To: "Stuart Walsh" <[2]s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   Cc: "Lute Net" <[3]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2011 3:30 AM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Menuet for Mandora (Brussels MS 5.619)

   >   Dear Stuart,
    <<<SNIP>>>

   >   Re repeating minuets and trios: if orchestral practice is anything
   >   go by, they would have expected repeats in both the minuer and trio
   it
   >   but with perhaps the DC reprise of the minuet  played only once: I
   >   think we often forget these days that many players had rather small
   >   collections of music (we are, of course, tremendously fortunate in
   >   having centuries on tap).

   <<AJN>>  From many of our earliest music lessons as children we
   were instructed to ignore the repeat signs on the Da Capo of a minuet
   (or similar ABA form).  I do not know when  this convention was
   introduced.  Perhaps in the 19th century.   But the repeat on the Da
   Capo was taken in earlier times, e.g., during the 18th century.
   Sometimes a minuet has two or more trios (especially in serenades and
   divertimentos), and then you will invariably see the instruction at the
   end of both Trios, "Menuetto da capo senza repetizione."  It is a
   warning not to follow the "usual" practice of observing the repeats
   during the Da Capo when there is one Trio.