On a 7 course instrument w/ 7th course a fourth lower than 6, it's the easiest
transposition of all for me. With a foundation in classical guitar (good thing
or a bad thing, depends...) It's like playing "on a guitar" except that for G
lute we are now on a D instrument. The guitar thing helps to read an A
instrument- one pretends to have a guitar with a high a string. That major 3rd
interval is always the bothersome little wrinkle. Some solos exist in
tone-apart versions, at least one fantasia by Holborne and the "Rosamunde"
pavan by Danyel to name the first two I can think of.
Dan