Dea= r All,
    This discussion feeds into one of my pet theories: T= hat Cabezon's
   keyboard tablature could be read by professional vihuelists a= nd
   harpers. Cabezon's tab is quite straightforward and logical. Any
   thought= s?
   Cheers,
   Jim Stimson

    = ;
   = On 12/0= 5/11, Ron Andrico<praelu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

   I agree wholeheartedly that transposing is a basic 'musicianship' sk=
   ill
   that, like improvisation, professional musicians should possess. Tha= t
   is not to say every lutenist should spend the vast amounts of time and=
   energy to develop this skill, since it's challenging enough just
   pla= ying what's on the page sometimes. But the very idea that the
   notes
   as t= hey appear on the page as 'sacrosanct' is counter to every ideal
   of
   true= musicianship of any age.
   Sure, Dowland's song accompaniments are a litt= le more worked out than
   Campion's, for instance, but a musician's skill = should be measured in
   his or her ability to grasp the horizontal and ver= tical elements of a
   lute song accompaniment and, at the same time, inter= pret the sounds
   apparently intended by the combination of open and finge= red strings
   in
   whatever transposed pitch.
   Having accompanied pop sing= ers and played lounge acts, I can tell you
   it's a necessary skill to be = able to work out an interesting
   accompaniment and even compose your own = bass line on the spot from
   nothing more than chord symbols. There is no = reason to think that
   historical musicians did not possess this skill.
   My only quibble with your essay, David, is the part about the 'Armada'
   = class. Ian Harwood's article in the Lute (2007?) on Mathew Holmes and
   Jo= hn Case dispels the idea that those who were granted degrees
   actually
   at= tended lectures. It appears that they pretty much paid the price
   and
   sub= mitted the required test composition and, poof, they were granted
   the de= gree. That's not to say they were slackers as far as studying
   the scienc= e of music.
   RA
   &g= t; From: [3]vidan...@sbcglobal.net
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Transpos= ing lute tablature on sight
   >
   > Transposition at sight would ha= ve been possible for the best
   players,
   > after all, some could hear a= piece once and then write it down.
   > The only question is how many c= ould do it.
   > Generally speaking, in the modern era, if your teachers= insisted
   that
   > you learn transposition, or if it was a requirement = at the
   > conservatory, then you have that skill, just like any other = skill.
   > Of course anyone who want to can learn it, like any other sk= ill.
   > If you watch Letterman, you can see Paul at the Keyboard make = up an
   > accompaniment in absolutely any key. The guest starts singing= ,
   > impromptu, and Paul will play one and only one note (I assume he<=
   BR>> therefore does not have perfect pitch) he then instantly
   calculates=
   the
   > difference from the note the guest sang and the note he pla= yed,
   derives
   > the key (it could be any key, no matter how horrend= ous) then adds a
   > complete harmony. If the guest starts of in C Shar= p major, well,
   Paul
   > just plays along.
   > Anyone with these kin= ds of skills could transpose anything.
   > Another way to look at it is= visualization. If you look at tab and
   see
   > a keyboard score, tra= nsposition is straightforward.
   > However, if you look at tab and see = finger positions, you then need
   > add that intermediate step of= seeing the notes.
   > I personally feel that in order to play the tab = you have to see the
   > voice leading, but it is more important for som= e pieces than
   others.
   > And it surely must have been the case back wh= enever that different
   > people saw different things. An organist who = played the lute would
   > surely visualize all the parts; a singer who = played the lute could
   > presumably pick out a cue melody. And of cour= se in Spain they sang
   from
   > tab.
   > Since organ tablature an= d german tab are so complicated, it seems
   > likely that for some play= ers visualizing the polyphony would have
   been
   > pretty easy in com= parison, or, if you grew up singing polyphony, it
   > would also be sec= ond nature.
   > What you "see" when you look at tab is a very interesti= ng question.
   > After looking at upside down tab for a while, your min= d turns it
   > around, just as our eye inverts images through its lens.=
   > When we see patterns that we have seen before, we relate them
   i= nstantly
   > to a set of interpretive memories. These pattern can be ta= b
   patterns,
   > with no notes involved, or note patterns, or a combinat= ion. The
   mind
   is
   > very flexible in what is "sees."
   > Even t= hose who don't "see" any notes in the tab will instantly
   > recognize = a familiar ground bass or passemezzo either by eye or by
   ear.
   > Si= milarly, those who transpose music use widely different and
   complex
   >= processes. You can "play" two chords, either in real sound or in
   your
   &= gt; imagination, and transpose them by ear without even using a
   notation= al
   > intermediary, and folk musicians do this all the time. You can u= se
   > muscle memory to instantly transpose G to F because your fingers=
   know
   > that "G down a tone" feels a certain way, positionally. You c= an
   then
   > transpose without tab or notes, just using kinesthetics.
   > I often use "instant letter" to transpose on the baroque guitar but>
   also on the lute and theorbo.
   > "Instant letter" uses letter n= ames as an intermediary instead of
   the
   > full polyphonic web, and as = such is easier for sight-reading.
   > You look at the first chord of ev= ery bar, you give it a letter,
   then
   > count up or down, and play the = letter. So you "see" G, count down
   one
   > to F, then play F. As the pi= ece moves along, you zip along to the
   > middle of the bar or to the n= ext bar and repeat the process. The
   system
   > is fast enough that y= ou can make this calculation, with very little
   > training or practice= , fast enough to outline a basic harmony on all
   but
   > the quickest= tempi. Second time through you can fill in the voice
   > leading, or m= ake up your own.
   > Another "transnotation" I use is to simply see the= tab as a figured
   > bass. When sight reading, I use the "first note n= umber" system.
   Here,