On Dec 5, 2011, at 2:44 PM, David Tayler wrote:

> What you "see" when you look at tab is a very interesting question.
>   After looking at upside down tab for a while, your mind turns it
>   around, just as our eye inverts images through its lens.
>   When we see patterns that we have seen before, we relate them instantly
>   to a set of interpretive memories. These pattern can be tab patterns,
>   with no notes involved, or note patterns, or a combination. The mind is
>   very flexible in what is "sees."

Visually encoded information of any sort is subject to virtually unlimited
mental manipulation. During WWII, a Ghurka tribesman (From the Nepalese
Himalayas) fighting with the British forces in Burma was left alone and
stranded- he made his way from one side of Burma to the other; evading Japanese
forces and navigating his way through heavy jungle. When he was debriefed at
the end of his journey at an allied outpost, he was asked how it was possible
for him navigate his way through such horrific situations and territory so
utterly outside his experience. He happily replied that the map in his
possession guided him perfectly every step of the way. It was a street map of
London.  (from "Bugles and a Tiger", by John Masters.)

Or as our friend & colleague (& benefactor) Sarge Gerbode says: "The map may
not be the territory, but it's all we've got."

Dan