Yes, testing a string is not easy if you can't make a direct comparison
   with some other known value (see my report on the synthetic loaded
   bass). A change of room could make more difference than a change of
   string or instrument. Then of course with a recording, the mics and
   recorder all have their own tone. As you imply, probably, you can
   abstract from the recording quality if the string you hear is
   immediately compared with a known string on the same instrument, and
   recorded in exactly the same conditions.
   However, blind tests of Strads (etc) against modern violins seem to
   show that perception can also be strongly effected by a musicians
   expectation or prior knowledge. If you hope an instrument (or string)
   should be good, you will possibly hear it as such. Apparently, a blind
   test can cancel some bias, and give quite different results than
   expected.
   http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/03/science/in-play-off-between-old-and-n
   ew-violins-stradivarius-lags.html
   Indeed, when I spoke to two lutensists about the new synthetic loaded
   strings: a lutenist who uses loaded gut and another who uses
   wirewounds, their expectations immediately became apparent; the loaded
   gut player expressed his fears that the synthetic loaded bass would
   probably sound plasticky, and the wirewounds player asked me whether
   the new string was as true as wirewounds, or a little false like loaded
   gut strings. This fear or expectancy would no doubt bias their
   judgement of the new string. Blind testing would possibly counteract
   this.
   I can't pretend to be less biassed, I think we are all biassed by the
   strings we are most used to, which become our norm from which all else
   is compared.
   Regards
   Anthony