Wasn't nylon originally discovered by research into spiderweb/silk materials, i.e. investigating the C-N peptide bond? My chemistry experience is now 40 years outdated, but i seem to remember that tidbit.

Actually they have a brilliant survival strategy. Normally spiders do not co-operate, but in the case of emergency... Well they have had 400 million years to adapt to the events in nature... Compare that to the time span to ours...

Arto

On 07/03/12 20:20, cyndi...@netscape.net wrote:
Anyone from Australia? Scoop up this bounty of spider webs and make some lute strings for us!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/17273309

-----Original Message-----
From: alexander<voka...@verizon.net>
To: Ron Andrico<praelu...@hotmail.com>
Cc: agno3phile<agno3ph...@yahoo.com>; tom<t...@heartistrymusic.com>; lute<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wed, Mar 7, 2012 9:54 am
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Violin strings out of spider's thread (objective blind test?)

I seriously doubt there is an interest in the mechanics of the subject on this ist, which are rather complex. It matters to say that the spider silk research s an immensely long and difficult endeavor, without a clear end in sight. The ultured silk research, going on for some 600 years, still regularly surprises
he heck out of itself.
t is generally agreed that, with small variations, all the silks, be it moths r spiders, or some fishes and mammals (yes!) consist of pretty much the same lements - fibroin, based on the proteins similar to our hair and fingernails, ust in somewhat different proportions and mixtures, and a glue holding
ilaments together, in case of moths and spiders - sericin.
he sometimes enormous strength of spider silk results not from its'
omposition, but rather from the spacial arrangement of the filaments, supported y the smart bends and nicks with a judicial dab of glue here and there, both on micro and macro level. and this is where the enormous amount of research goes n. TO make a useful musical strings, this spacial arrangement needs to be vercome and some new one created, which cancels all the wonderful inventiveness he spider just put into the process... The glue bits are melted in the process, nd the fancy curly hair go straight, as the perm in the shower. Sure it gives he one who makes such a string a painless pastime, and lots of it, and then espect for being persistent, and girls and free drinks that follow. But as far s the string goes, - nothing fancy here, exactly because of the necessary traightening of the tiny filaments to arrange them laterally into the string.
his destroys the fancy spider's footwork.
uriously enough, the gut strings, on the other hand, completely preserve the atices of arrangement among the filaments, as they are too strong and too fancy o be destroyed by the processing and stretching. You see, the gut is never aken apart into tiny filaments, as silk is. This gives gut strings all the
ualities we all love and enjoy.
O see the following links, remove spaces in http.
  t t p://web.mit.edu/course/3/3.064/www/slides/Ko_spider_silk.pdf
  t t p://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2012/01/spider-silk-va
t t p://theheritagetrust.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/rare-spider- silk-textile-on-display-at-the-victoria-albert-museum/

lexander r.

n Wed, 07 Mar 2012 13:23:12 +0000