I seriously doubt there is an interest in the mechanics of the subject on this
list, which are rather complex. It matters to say that the spider silk research
is an immensely long and difficult endeavor, without a clear end in sight. The
cultured silk research, going on for some 600 years, still regularly surprises
the heck out of itself.
It is generally agreed that, with small variations, all the silks, be it moths
or spiders, or some fishes and mammals (yes!) consist of pretty much the same
elements - fibroin, based on the proteins similar to our hair and fingernails,
just in somewhat different proportions and mixtures, and a glue holding
filaments together, in case of moths and spiders - sericin.
The sometimes enormous strength of spider silk results not from its'
composition, but rather from the spacial arrangement of the filaments,
supported by the smart bends and nicks with a judicial dab of glue here and
there, both on a micro and macro level. and this is where the enormous amount
of research goes on. TO make a useful musical strings, this spacial arrangement
needs to be overcome and some new one created, which cancels all the wonderful
inventiveness the spider just put into the process... The glue bits are melted
in the process, and the fancy curly hair go straight, as the perm in the
shower. Sure it gives the one who makes such a string a painless pastime, and
lots of it, and then respect for being persistent, and girls and free drinks
that follow. But as far as the string goes, - nothing fancy here, exactly
because of the necessary straightening of the tiny filaments to arrange them
laterally into the string. This destroys the fancy spider's footwork.
Curiously enough, the gut strings, on the other hand, completely preserve the
latices of arrangement among the filaments, as they are too strong and too
fancy to be destroyed by the processing and stretching. You see, the gut is
never taken apart into tiny filaments, as silk is. This gives gut strings all
the qualities we all love and enjoy.
TO see the following links, remove spaces in http.
h t t p://web.mit.edu/course/3/3.064/www/slides/Ko_spider_silk.pdf
h t t p://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2012/01/spider-silk-va
h t t
p://theheritagetrust.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/rare-spider-silk-textile-on-display-at-the-victoria-albert-museum/

alexander r.