Hello Alexander
           As a gut string user, and ready to try silk if it was easilly
   available, I am not actually advocating for lutenists and other
   musicians to go over to synthetic strings (or natural spider strings).
   Indeed, I would hope improvements in research on historic "natural"
   strings might encourage more lutenists to stay with gut or silk. I must
   make that clear, and I suppose I should do so whenever discussing a
   synthetic string.
   %
   On the other hand, knowing that many lutenists will never use "natural"
   strings, and that a number only use "natural" strings for recording, I
   wonder whether it is not better that these synthetics strings, be as
   close as possible in behaviour to what we believe were the qualities of
   historic strings (but also seeing some dangers in such research).
   Gut strings can be twisted and treated with chemicals to become more
   flexible, and suitable for Meanes, but synthetic gut can't be (or at
   least I don't think it can), flexiblity must be part of the polymer
   structure (due to the ingredients or to the extruding). I was simply
   thinking that this could possibly be achieved by simulating the
   spider's extrusion technique (with the extrudor) rather than just
   varying the ingedients. This might actually result in a synthetic
   string closer to the flexible gut Meanes.
   However, for me this is still science fiction, I just wondered whether
   according to you it was a possibility, not at all advocating anything,
   and certainly not advocating genetic modification.
   Sorry not to have been more clear, I was not thinking about using
   natural spider silk, which has never to my knowledge been a historic
   ingredient for strings, just improving the structure of synthetic
   Meanes.
   %
   I realize improvements in synthetics may make it too easy for those who
   haven't already left natural strings. I have mixed feelings about that.
   Regards
   Anthony