From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Franz Mechsner
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:45 AM
To: wikla; Stewart McCoy
Cc: Lute Net
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Being too clever, knowing always "how it is"...

   There's a nice story about "always knowing for sure" and leadership,
   this time in some fishes. It's not only amazing that a swarm of fishes
   stays together but that - at least in some species - swarms may change
   direction almost synchronously, like a big swimming organism. Now the
   story: Researchers found out that, in a certain species of fish, there
   was always a "leader" in a swarm who's direction all of the others
   followed. Of course the obvious question arose: What makes the natural
   leader here? Is it a particuarly clever fish? Or a fish who knows
   instinctively what direction is the best ist most circumstances? The
   answer which turned out was: Fishes have a tendency to adjust their
   direction with that of their neighbors in the swarm. There is always
   one fish in a swarm who does NOT adjust to any other fish - thus his
   direction wins over any other direction in the end. So much for
   apparent knowledge for sure and natural leadership.

   Dr. Franz Mechsner
   Reader
   Northumbria University, Dept. of Psychology
   Northumberland Building
   Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8ST (UK)
   Tel:  +44(0) 191 243 7479