From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Christopher Wilke
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:56 AM
To: Edward Mast; Braig, Eugene
Cc: howardpos...@ca.rr.com; do...@tiscali.it; Lute Dmth (lute@cs.dartmouth.edu)
Subject: [LUTE] Re: (Not) OT: Music in church

    Hi Eugene,
       I must respectfully disagree that the subject is off topic. While
   not specifically lute related, the discussion revolves around the
   Church's (in America at least) rejection of a living tradition of early
   music. As you say, the decline in church attendance is due to many
   other cultural factors and of course, music was not the sole cause.
   However, the rejection of an entire ancient tradition was surely
   symptomatic of larger attitudes within the Church regarding the role of
   art. What social factors made those in charge conclude that the old
   aesthetic traditions were totally irrelevant and appropriate for
   wholesale ejection c.1965?
        Ironically, we see the rise of HIP as a legitimate movement just
   as the Church was abandoning the living tradition of it's own
   (admittedly non-HIP) early music. Many of our post-war early music
   "heros" were just starting their concert work in ernest at this time
   and finding enough public interest to sustain specialized performing
   careers dedicated solely to old music. A fairly sizable portion of this
   repertoire consisted of Catholic music or music that the general public
   would perceive as having "that ancient church sound." Church officials
   apparently came to the conclusion that, although people where willing
   to PAY to hear this music performed well, they found it's use in the
   original context off-putting. Imagine how differently the development
   of our own field be if the Church had joined forces with the budding
   HIP movement and embraced sacred musical heritage. What if they had
   financially supported someone like Gustav Leonhardt and his many
   students to turn their efforts towards a HIP overhaul of church music
   both within and outside of services?
   In spite of these efforts to stamp out the old ways, the sound of
   ancient repertoire is none the less part of pop culture consciousness.
   To this day, whenever an interior shot of a church is featured in a
   movie, the soundtrack will feature a a few seconds of chant. This
   immediately tells the viewer that something Seriously Grave and
   Important (usually involving some sort of epic battle between Good and
   Evil) will follow. How different would those scenes be with pseudo-folk
   guitar (capo 3) strumming?
   Chris