Good & useful clarification/re- definement , Howard. I work at a large
CD/record/DVD establishment, and every now and then I will slip on a mass by
Josquin, Byrd, whoever- (any of the usual suspects) and most of my fellow
employees- except the other two who help me out in the classical division- will
show surprise at hearing such "Churchy" sounding music. And my initial reflex
mental response- before opening my mouth- is- "That's not CHURCH music- that's
EARLY music!"

When I put on secular viol consort music I still sometimes get the "That sounds
like church music" reaction. But, I sell a surprising amount of both religious
vocal polyphonic as well as secular Early Music CDs to customers for whom this
music genre (or sub-genre?) is a completely new experience- ranging from
sophisticated listeners who come for Jazz to World Music of all kinds, Pop
Vocal fans, and even some of the stranger Heavy Metal/Electronica/experimental
folks- all enchanted by music they never hear in church (those who go, of
course!).

Dan