Wow.  Howard probably has the most facile command of written (American)
   English of anyone contributions I've read on this list.  And I'm no
   slouch when it comes to the lumpy run-on sentence, posted post-haste
   and proofed in rueful retrospect.  But now I'm confused.  Did you mean
   this?
    "One can only speculate that Church officials acted upon the
   assumption that,
      although general audiences would PAY to hear early sacred music
   performed well in
      non-liturgical concert settings, there was no evident support by the
   majority of
      the Church's present and potential congregation for continued
   liturgical use
      of the antiquated repertory."
   RA