me try to recall the essence of a statement I ran across in my "research" some
time ago.  It went something like this:

. . .and let it be noted, dear sirs, that all the good advices of all the best
teachers shall mean little if the results give not pleasure to the ear and soul
of the player.  For music is, and must needs be, a most beneficial means of
lifting the hearts of those who would play it.  And for this effect to be most
pronounced, 'tis the duty of the player to draw the sound from his instrument
that most pleaseth his ear, so that his soul may be uplifted.  And verily,
then, if he findeth that this most pleasing sound comes forth from his
instrument (lute) when he plucks the strings close to the bridge, so let him
plucketh; but if he finds this most pleasing sound to come forth when he plucks
the strings closer to the rose, so, again, let him plucketh there.  And in the
very same manner, let him find how his instrument responds to his hand when he
extends his thumb out beyond the fingers, and playeth it in that manner if the
sound is pleaseth to the ear beyond measure.  If, howsoev!
 er, he findeth that by extending his fingers beyond the thumb, the sound
issues forth in the most excellent and pleasurable manner, then let him adopt
this manner of playing;  for it is to be considered beyond dispute that for
music to pleaseth and uplift the soul, it must in the first event, pleaseth and
uplift the soul of the player.

Ned