     From: William Samson <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Right hand plucking position - was Re: Quality
     vs Quantity
     To: "David Tayler" <vidan...@sbcglobal.net>, "lute"
     <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Tuesday, 27 March, 2012, 8:23

      Good points all, David (as far as I understand them :o\ )
      One great example is that of renaissance ornamentation.  When we
      compare the 'Varietie' versions of Dowland with MS versions of the
   same
      thing (for example the King of Denmark's Galliard, or the Fantasie)
   we
      find that MS versions are dripping with ornament indications.  I
   HAVE
      heard people attempting these, but usually as a demonstration
   between
      consenting lutenists - not something to be incorporated in a public
      performance or on a CD.
      Diana Poulton was pointing this out (as well as pinky down) long,
   long,
      long ago, but none of the pros (and few of the ams) at that time
   paid a
      blind bit of heed.  Since then, pinky down seems to have become the
      norm, but as you say, renaissance ornamentation is tucked away out
   of
      sight.
      A serious point is that exploration of authentic playing practice
   very
      often comes from the amateur side of things, where they don't HAVE
      make the lute sound that audiences have come to expect, to earn a
      living.
      Let's not give up on these things, fellow amateurs.  The
   professionals
      will eventually follow us, though it will be a L-O-N-G haul . . .
      Bill