Dear Chris/All

Certainly it is possible for close-to-the-bridge hand positions to give
"brittle, nasally, banjo-y sound", but it does not have to be that way. I
recently gave a talk for the UK Lute Society on just this subject, and it
should be written up in the next issue of Lute News, so I won't go over my
arguments in detail here. Briefly, though, I was arguing that "authentic"
hand positions make little sense unless they are accompanied by similarly
"authentic" stringing and instrument construction, and unless they are
applied to the right sort of repertoire.
I thought I'd mention that I've recently redone my website (nearly finished
anyhow!), and that there are audio samples there which are quite relevant to
this discussion, as they are played with a variety of techniques. Have a
listen!

http://www.martineastwell.com/music-samples/

Some details:
1. Dowland Fantasie, recorded 1990 on a 9 course lute. Gut strings (unisons
on courses 1-5), with "Catline" basses and thumb-out technique. RH not
especially close to the bridge.
2. Mesangau Almand, rec. 2011, 12 course lute, all gut, RH close to bridge,
thumb out.
3. The Day Dawes, rec. 2011,  course lute, gut with loaded basses, RH close
to bridge, thumb out.
4, 5, and 6. Francesco 34/Calata/ Si Vous Voulez rec. 1990, 6 course lute,
gut strings with octave basses, thumb under plucking away from the bridge.

I plan to change the recordings in a month or so-perhaps I should put up my
recording of a J.Gaultier Almand played with Thomas Mace technique-little
finger behind the bridge!

Best wishes

Martin