With all due respect to Michael Schaeffer, it shouldn't be forgotten that
Joseph Iadone was playing the lute with flesh, thumb-index technique, and
wonderful sound in the 1950s.  I think that because he was known more as an
ensemble player (but what an ensemble player!) than a soloist, he's overlooked
by many today.  A uniquely exciting player (but one ought to be charmed, not
excited by lute playing, yes?).

Ned