Spruce and cedar, sycamore and (something else I've forgotten). The taxonomy of trees is confused by the local names. The English have different local names than Americans (that is the sycamore, and my forgotten English name). The pear I turn for hollow forms is not the pear of Europe - it is called "non-fruiting pear" locally in NJ, but I'm not sure that it isn't aspen.

No quarrel with this thread, just the warning that names can be local.

Best, JOn