   From: Richard Lees <rel...@sbcglobal.net>
   To: sterling price <spiffys84...@yahoo.com>;
   "lute-buil...@cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute-buil...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 12:03 AM
   Subject: [LUTE-BUILDER] Re: Archlute Bridge
   Hello Sterling!!
   Its been a long time posting for me, I have been pretty busy with
   work...
   I offer what I have done in the past.
   Many of the EXCELLENT builders who post here will no doubt have
   wonderful input to give you , no doubt..
   For my part, having replaced a number of bridges in restoration work
   as well as gluing on bridges in  new construction,  I would say
   It is much better to remove the top. MUCH BETTER in fact
   Your description is good by the way, and certainly justifies replacing
   the bridge.
   Also since the current bridge is not to be kept, you do have a great
   advantage here.
   However there are issues .
   Removing a well glued on bridge is no easy task. Heat and moisture are
   required and the application of these forces can easily damage a top
   beyond repair...
   After you remove the top from the bowl , you must focus the heat and
   moisture very carefully, and take extreme caution not to be impatient
   and lift up the bridge with any force as this could create tear outs in
   the top underneath. This situation is a nightmare to deal with , but
   CAN be addressed if the damage is shallow.
   Given that you are going to make a new bridge, I suggest that you
   begin by removing whatever top detail has been placed on the top of the
   old bridge ( if any) and then to CAREFULLY plane down the old bridge
   with a block plane to where the remaining bridge is perhaps 1.5 mills
   thick or less  if you can ...
   Now you can place hot water on a rag cut to fit EXACTLY on top of the
   remaining bridge with a LITTLE overlap  and then cover the cloth with
   tin foil or saran wrap to prevent the water from evaporating.  Please
   leave this in place for a while .
   As  thin as the remainder of the bridge now is, the water and heat
   should penetrate fairly well into the top and glue joint underneath,
   and begin to loosen the bond.
   Now under one of the ears see if you can't slip a single edged razor
   blade between the bottom of the bridge and the top... You must not
   force this .... if there is any resistance you should stop immediately!
   You will need to apply more heat and moisture using hot water and a
   SMALL  iron directly on the top of the remainder of the bridge on the
   area where you wish to start, and try again... I stress that it is
   important to be careful to control how much heat and moisture is
   absorbed in the top and most importantly  to keep this in area as close
   to the perimeter of the bridge as possible..
   If you have removed the top, of course you can apply moisture and heat
   from UNDERNEATH the top just below bridge, and be very effective as the
   top itself is more porous than the ebony.
   Carefully move the razor blade along the joint until the bridge
   remainder lifts up completely along its length....
   At this point I recommend damping the top at least around the area
   where there has been heat with cold water and prefer myself , to damp
   the entire top - top and bottom to equalize the tensions so as to  to
   help avoid selective shrinking of the top and the ensuing warps that
   will incur as a result. If you do damp the entire top , AVOID the ROSE
   TOP AND BOTTOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
   Just after the top has been damped, I then place the top (topside down
   ) in a go bar box ( you must  use some cellotape on the go bar box
   bottom where the bridge area is going to be , so that the remaining
   glue in the bridge area of the top doesn't bond it  to the box)  and
   then  using cellotaped bars of your manufacture (say 1/2 x 1  x 12
   inches or so) go bar clamp these bars down across where the bridge was
   located  to ensure that the top is flat in this critical area.  Also
   brace the existing lateral braces of the top by placing go bars in the
   center of each of these lateral braces and at each end , and put go
   bars on the J bar as well as the treble bars.... I recommend leaving it
   like this for several days until the top has stabilized, is flat,  and
   all moisture you have put into the top is gone.
   Now comes an interesting thing......
   The new bridge should actually be glued on with the top with the  same
   humidity  as when all the braces were glued down in the first place.
   This is to prevent stresses from being introduced into the top which
   will will deaden the sound.
   Since we have most likely no record of what this humidity figure was ,
   we now have a bit of a mystery !~!!!
   In one lute I worked on and which needed a complete bridge re gluing -
   the bridge was lifting up under the ears and also under the first
   course but was otherwise perfect,  my client wanted to reuse the
   original bridge.
   This instrument by the way  was made by a well known and well respected
   American luthier.
   As such,  I faced this problem of not knowing the relative humidity
   used during the gluing of the braces
   I discovered that keeping the top in a go bar box at 44 percent
   humidity to start with, the top developed a bow with the center of the
   top depressed relative to the edges, and this within less than 20
   minutes from removing the go bars, and this in a room with a relative
   humidity of around 55 percent! This indicates to me that the top was in
   fact braced at a higher humidity.
   I slowly raised the humidity in the box 5 percent at a time,  with a
   good deal of time used  to stabilize the top at each setting and this
   over the next week or two.
   I discovered that only around 55 to 60 percent humidity in the go bar
   box,  did the top hold its flatness fairly well after removal ......
   WEIRD!!!!!
   I later learned from one of our best lute players here on the west
   coast that this particular builder (who he knew)  built his instruments
   in a dampish basement and didn't use a humidity controlled go bar box
   to brace his tops.......
   Well anyway (and having no choice)  I glued the bridge back at 55% .
   The instrument sounded great thereafter, our builder did do an
   admirable job.
   This  hopefully will give you some idea at least of my process in this
   kind of repair...
   best
   Richard Lees