   From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
   To: Jaroslaw Lipski <jaroslawlip...@wp.pl>
   Cc: Lutelist <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thursday, 12 July 2012, 17:38
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: brass strings on 15th century lutes
   matter.  The only thing
   > that is difficult for me to accept in the result of your translation
   is
   > the fact that it is not a practical solution. Can you imagine playing
   such
   > an instrument? Some people complain about octave stringing on
   instruments
   > equipped with gut only saying that it ruins voice leading, so how it
   would
   > be possible to play a tenor or alto voice crossing 2 addjacent
   courses -
   > one with unison guts and the other with a mixture of gut and wire in
   > octaves!!! I won't even mention problems with intonation and frets.
   It
   > sounds like a nightmare to me. I am sorry, but it is very difficult
   > find any logic in this arrangement. Therefore I tend to think we are
   > missing something in the interpretation of Tinctoris's words, or he
   didn't
   > express himself clearly.
   For what its worth I'll stick my oar (or ore) in and say that some
   people
   today may complain that octave stringing ruins the voice leading - but
   there
   is very little doubt that plucked string instruments were strung in
   octaves.
   People in the past may have had no choice in the matter as the
   alternative
   may have been even worse.
   Octave doubling and voice leading is  a major problem on the baroque
   guitar
   for players today but players in the past may not have found it a
   problem.
   As the distinguished musicalogist  Howard Mayer Brown said  "What we
   may
   think sounds "best" or "right" or "most musical" is not a safe guide to
   what
   was done in the past".  (My favourite quote).
   Surely the only thing that is not clear in Tinctoris' comment is how
   exactly
   the strings he refers to were actually made or what they consisted of.
   Monica