I wasn't questioning that. Obviously most of us know when octave stringing was
introduced and what was the cause of this invention. In spite some people
complained it was finally accepted. However we are talking here of another
obstacle in attaining smooth transition between treble and bass which could
really hinder any proper voice leading at all. A thin metal string has such a
different tonal qualities from a thick gut that no matter how plucked it will
stick out braking a counterpoint. I doubt very much if anyone would be able to
play contrapunctal music from times of Tinctoris on an instrument strung that
way. As said before I don't even mention practical issues of this setting like
intonation, frets, etc.
To your quote I'd say that the old ones had as good ears as we do, so it's not
a safe guide to assume they were handicap in this matter and didn't bother
about voice-leading.
If you say that everything in Tinctoris text is clear, please speak for
yourself as there are some people like myself that have  doubts on whether it
makes any musical sense.

Jaroslaw

Wiadomość napisana przez Monica Hall w dniu 12 lip 2012, o godz. 18:38: