> One other interpretation is that it could be a set of sympathetic
> strings, that are tuned in higher octaves to the 5th, 4th and 3rd and lower
> octaves to the 2nd and 1st main
> courses.

It is not very clear for me what you mean. Some more explanation, please?

> Well, it's not really that unusual: phosphor bronze can be drawn into
> wire. It is used, for example, in lower registers of harpsichords,
> because of its slightly greater (than brass) mass. Moreover, bronze in
> old times was not just combination of copper and tin but many different
> alloys, some of which could be attributed to either brass or bronze.

Yes, I realize there are bronze strings in use in our times, however I am not
sure about bronze wire technologie in 14th -15th century. Wasn't bronze too
brittle then to make a thin musical string? It was used later for harpsichords
and mandolins, but I wouldn't be so sure about lutes at that time.

JL